[TYPO3-core] Git Experts: Fix amnesia?

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Wed Oct 17 10:22:55 CEST 2012

Hi,

what I learned from using Git is that nearly anything is possible.
Now I have a challenging problem I'd like to discuss.

When moving to namespaces, we moved and at the same time changed files
in our master branch.

With doing both we lost our complete history of the newly renamed files.

That is really a pity and if possible I want to fix that.

I have two ideas how we can manage to do that.

1. Rewrite the history of the *remote* repo
2. a) Change the content of the original files with their current
       content
    b) Remove the new files
    c) Move the "old" files to their new location
    d) Add the dummy files in the old location.

The first one would have the downside, that we would void all cloned
repos out there, but we would have a clean repo again.

The second one should work, but is of course a lot of work. We should
only do that if we can do it with a script.

So the questions are:

Is it worth fixing this history loss?
Can someone put effort on this task?

Kind regards,