[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Christian Hennecke christian.hennecke at wunderknaben.com
Thu Oct 11 09:57:10 CEST 2012

Am 08.10.2012 22:44, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Hi,
>
> On 8-10-2012 17:01, Steffen Müller wrote:
>> As already argued after T3CON:
>> 6 month to upgrade from 4.5 LTS to 6.x LTS looks short to me, because
>> * there might be a huge amount of instances in the wild, which are
>> targeted to upgrade only from LTS to LTS. This means higher workload in
>> the 6 month phase, additionally to the usual workload of new projects.
>
> A good reason to not skip so many versions and upgrade regularly...

Or not.

>> * we do not know yet, how smooth upgrades work.
>
> Upgrades to the next version will usually go smoother than skipping a
> lot of versions.

This largely depends on the changes that come with the versions. I would
not consider it good advice these days as 4.7.4 and 6.x both come with a
lot of changes that require adjusting existing systems. Customers will
not pay for that.

>> So my proposal is to extend the lifetime of 4.5 LTS on demand. This
>> could be limited to security fixes.
>
> A good replacement for a new LTS version, provided that there is someone
> who wants to do the support for this.
>
> Rename it 4.5 Vintage edition and this will go EOL with TYPO3 CMS
> itself. No need for a new LTS version. +1

Not doable since extension updates, which include *security fixes*, will
require a newer TYPO3.