[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Nov 10 01:30:12 CET 2012

Hi,

Op 9-11-2012 13:23, Lukas Rueegg [RTP] schreef:
> I must say, I was (falsely) assuming that a part of our membership fee
> to the T3A would go to the core development and its maintainance
> already. If this is really not the case, I'm motivated to try to change
> that... It can't be that the T3A just cares about FLOW/NEOS without
> caring about the current stable versions.

Care is giving in different ways.

For an existing product it's more likely that people are willing to
spend time to it. If you use TYPO3 CMS as a developer for your projects
and you encounter a bug or you want a new feature it's actually likely
that you make the effort of creating a patch and submitting that.
Existing products can be maintained and developed further by a community.
Care is given by the T3A by supporting and facilitating things for these
contributors. The T3A makes it possible for me to go to Core Team
meetings or code sprints. I do the coding in my spare time and by
reimbursing the costs of travelling and hotel I can actually go to these
events.

For Flow/Neos the situation was different. There was no usable product
and thus it was very unlikely that community members would contribute to
that. Now that Flow is used more in projects people start contributing
and once Neos is used in projects people will contribute code to that
project too.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member