[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Nov 9 14:14:03 CET 2012

Hi,

On 9-11-2012 13:37, Lukas Rueegg [RTP] wrote:
> On 2012-11-08 11:02:06 +0000, Jigal van Hemert said:
>
>> From the arguments I heard so far I must conclude that the people who
>> want an LTS version want developers to spend more time on maintenance
>> because it is cheaper for clients and easier to sell for the agencies.
>
> Please don't always insinuate me my motivation for an LTS release, just
> ask!

It was a summary of what I've read in general. I didn't mention that it
was *your* specific opinion. You probably didn't even give a specific
reason, so it wasn't included in my summary.

> Even if it gets cheaper and easier to sell, this is not my reason! I'm
> really convinced, that the LTS gives TYPO3 a massive plus in the
> enterprise sector.

Can you elaborate on that? Do you have concrete cases where enterprise
customers have said that they selected TYPO3 for their website because
it has an LTS version?
It's not to convince me, but it would help with arguments for getting
the right solution started. If it needs funding an there are factual
arguments (and not a feeling, opinion) that would really help to support
for that solution.

> Plus: It would make much more sense to let experienced core developers
> maintain the TYPO3 core than to let every integrator do this himself.

Sure. It was just that most of the arguments just pointed into a single
direction. I just wanted people to start thinking about a solution and
not just saying "I like an LTS version", "our customers like LTS
versions because they don't require expensive upgrades".

If it is accepted that it would be a substantial burden for the core
team who work for a large part in their spare time on this, one could
think about solutions:
- an agency can provide longer support by backporting patches
- a group of agencies can collaborate on this
- this collaboration can be done for example from the Association
- ...

> If you could agree with that, I'd already be happy!

Thanks you for your arguments!

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member