[TYPO3-core] Hooks and Signal Slots in TYPO3 6.0

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Fri Nov 2 14:54:37 CET 2012

Hey everybody,

with the name-space changes almost every class in the TYPO3 Core has
been renamed, however the hook calls still are the same. Previously
those definitions contained the file path, e.g.
"t3lib/class.t3lib_tcemain.php", but now would be something different
like "typo3/sysext/core/Classes/DataHandling/DataHandler.php".

Of course it does not make much sense to just rename every how and thus
break the backward compatible behaviour on this. Besides that we had
several different ways to register hooks:

1) plain hook user functions ($hookObject->$hookFunction)
2) hook object with a pre-defined method ($hookObject->doSomething())
3) hook object that need to implement a particular interface
4) signal-slot-dispatchers

Since I'd like to get rid of the misleading and old path definitions (as
mentioned above), I'd like to suggest to only use
signal-slot-dispatchers in the core.

We can introduce a backward compatibility layer for the current
implementation and deprecate that. All new hooks shall then be
introduced and used with signal-slots only.

What do you think? What's your impression on this topic?

Cheers,
Olly
--
Oliver Hader