[TYPO3-core] Translation 'en' missing

Daniel Alder dalder at snowflake.ch
Fri Nov 2 11:52:04 CET 2012

Am 02.11.2012 10:06, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Did you really read the article I linked to? It gives you plenty of
> options to change the labels of any extension, core, etc. both for the
> default (English) language and other languages without modifying any
> part of the extension or core itself.

sure, when the article was released (i think he wrote it one year ago,
when typo 4.6 was released, cause of the xliff integration). so he wrote
it based on 4.6. an i think 4.5 was correct. ;)

> Your idea that English labels should be made as a translation of the
> description for translators is simply not the way things work in TYPO3.

that exactly what i am here for. i do not agree that it's the way how
typo3 should work. because it's just working since 4.6 in that way.

> If you think that changing labels in TypoScript is a bad habit, then
> you're not forced to do that; there are alternatives (as described in
> Xavier's article).

your right, there are other ways. but the l10n-mechanisem was one of the
best ways for translations (for example if you want to put the languages
under version control, have all translations in the same place and are
save if the extension get updates). but this case we can't use anymore
for english labels. so i have to use an other way just for english.

like you said:
$GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['SYS']['locallangXMLOverride']['default']['EXT:tt_news/pi/locallang.xml'][]
= '...';

but if i am using "locallangXMLOverride" there is no need for l10n
anymore, it's obsoleted for frontend extensions. i don't want to
translate french in l10n and english via "locallangXMLOverride".

so please tell me one more time why do you think 'en' shouldn't be
woring as a language in l10n?