[TYPO3-core] Deliver unit tests in the packaged sources?

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Wed Jun 27 16:07:08 CEST 2012

Hi,

many thanks to everybody for contributing to a constructive discussion!

Am 27.06.12 12:29, schrieb Oliver Klee:

> +1 if we protect the folder with a .htaccess. (Unit tests may not be
> secure and thus must not be executable from the outside.)

tldr:

I think it is fair to say that the everybody is for including the tests,
some wanted to see some preconditions before doing so, though.

All mentioned preconditions (must be easily executable, reports should
be generated) are planned to be tackled. There are several ways to do
this, will figure out the best :)

In more detail:

1. Unit tests are in the document root

True, unfortunatetly everything is in TYPO3 and this will most likely
not change for 6.0 and probably never. But the unit tests are *all* in
class scope, they do nothing if called directly. Some of them have
require call, but I thing all these requires can be removed due to the
changes in the autoloader.

Thus they do not expose any additional risks to a TYPO3 installation.

Besides that, we already deliver all the tests for system extensions.
Only the core tests are missing...

2. Benefits

As pointed out by some people in this thread: If we can intruct
integrators or devops easily how to execute the tests, this does not
only encourage people to write them, but also helps to track down
potential problems easier, which is a benefit for everbody.

Kind regards,
Helmut

--
Helmut Hummel