[TYPO3-core] Deliver unit tests in the packaged sources?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Jun 27 11:33:54 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 27-6-2012 10:02, Michael Stucki wrote:
> I am not sure if the additional space hurts, but isn't it the same with
> e.g. Debian packages that ship debug symbols, and those who don't?
>
> What would be the difference?

There are a few important differences.

- Unit tests are separate scripts; they are not included in the main
scripts. Debug symbols are included in the executable and increase the
size and thus (slightly) the loading time
- In order to keep the debug symbols usable most compilers will use less
optimization. Packages with debug symbols will most likely be slower
than optimized versions.

Our unit test just take up disk space until someone decides to use them.
They have zero impact on the normal code which is used in running TYPO3.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!