[TYPO3-core] Universally/Globally Unique IDentifier in core in 6.0?

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Mon Jul 23 22:35:40 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 07/23/2012 01:01 PM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> I was actually thinking about using the UUID as primary identifier in
> the core and keeping the currently used sequential uid during the
> deprecation phase to keep old code working.
>
> This will of course have quite an impact on all core modules. We need to
> add new TS properties for the UUID and deprecate the current properties,
> etc.

The identity extension just adds uuid support with a new field to tables
and does not drop the uid as primary key column. I support JoH's opinion
in this regard and think it is not possible to just drop uid and
introduce uuids instead. This would break 95% of extensions and thus can
not be the way to go. Having uid and uuid in parallel is a good choice,
at least for now.

We (the 6.0 release team with olly) had a skype today meeting with
Thomas (more in a different mail), and slightly touched the 'identity'
topic:
It looks like that all participants are unable to work on a uuid support
for 6.0, to get it ready before feature freeze. So it seems that we will
probably not get it into 6.0 because of missing manpower, except some
other core team member and probably other people give it priority and
submit heavy work within the next three weeks.

So, while we all would love to have uuid support, it looks like we won't
deliver a core solution for 6.0, except cool things start to happen now.
The identity extension looks very promising, and can be used as an
intermediate step for 6.0 with an integration goal for a later core
version. This also gives us some time frame for people to start hacking
on deployment strategies and gathering experience in this area, or
starting other depending projects.

Regards
Christian