[TYPO3-core] Minutes of the 6.0 release team meeting

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu Jul 19 12:06:42 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 19-7-2012 11:43, Thomas Maroschik wrote:
> Here just a short addition of the needed steps for namespace refactoring:
>
> Refactoring:
>
> * Rename all classes according to the spreadsheet

Which spreadsheet?

> Compatibility:
>
> * Place a dummy file in the old location that logs the require as
> deprecated and tells the new classname
> * Build a class alias registry
> * Rerefecence configuration keys containing new filenames to the old ones

How much performance is this going to cost?

> I think by that compatibility is a much smaller issue. For extension
> developers a webservice could be offerend that changes their extensions
> to the new class names.

Which basically means that we need separate versions of *all* extensions
for 4.x and for 6.x? That's not going to happen.
* most extension authors will not make updates until some time after
things really break. In the mean time hardly anything is working. This
means that if the original classes will be removed in 6.2, it basically
means that any upgrade to 6.2 will be broken for many months.
* TER and the IM are not capable of keeping both branches apart. It will
suggest the latest version for 4.x too, which will not work

Getting this to work with new class names would require a forward
compatibility layer in 4x too. I'm not sure the RMs of those versions
are willing to introduce this, especially because it could very well
influence stability of those versions.

What is the use case for this??

--
Jigal van Hemert