[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-core-internal] Deprecation strategy

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Wed Jul 11 10:06:59 CEST 2012

Hi Christian,

> I've had the idea about an 'extension-scanner'. Goal is to run it on a
> eg. a current 4.5 instance and it tells you what needs to be done for a
> successful update to some other version. I think a lot of the bigger
> agencies would be interested in this, so maybe we could raise funds if
> we find a cool team to reach this goal.

IMHO it could be an online service where you just upload an extension. At a
later state, we might want to check all new TER uploads, but lets get the
first step done first.

Basically we check for deprecated functions mostly which means we could use
static (sub-)string matching or simple patters.

That would mean we need a list of patters that are deprecated and the just
grep over the extension.
On top of that there could be a PHP syntax check.

What we really need is a tag in TER up to what TYPO3 version an extension is
compatible with.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!