[TYPO3-core] Have there already been plans for an integrated image editor?

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Mon Jul 9 22:57:35 CEST 2012

Hi Roland,

Roland wrote:

> Have there already been plans for integrating an image editor into the
> TYPO3 core? if yes: what major problems prevented the implementation?

I guess the main problems are the fast changing APIs of the graphic
libraries which makes maintenance a nightmare.

Second I think an image editor would add more bloat to the core which might
not be used that often. Offline image editors are way better in terms of
quality and resulting size than we can ever hope to archive on the server.

Thus I would prefer this to be an own extensions on forge that can be
updated more often than the TYPO3 core.
On the other hand, I would like to see that the image processing powers are
handed down to the editor and are not solely for integrators.
But how many editors actually use the image manipulation options which are
already available in the image element?

Cheers
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!