[TYPO3-core] Outstanding Tasks for 4.7

Christian Welzel gawain at camlann.de
Tue Feb 21 15:01:29 CET 2012

Am 21.02.2012 14:19, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:

> Shouldn't we first ask a lawyer (I assume the TYPO3 Association uses
> legal services for various matters) if the "offending" line is really
> such a problem?

Of cause you can. But as i have linked in the bugreport, both debian-
legal and google are of the same opinion: its non free. And thats why
its in conflict with GPL. Both have surely asked there lawyers before.

> If it is the case the wonko.com article says that
> Douglas Crockford seems willing to provide an additional license.

If you get him to provide a license, that allows typo3 and its users to
use the software for all use cases, this would surely be ok. But as he
wrote: "I give permission for IBM, its customers, partners, and minions,
to use JSLint for evil." But most users of typo3 are in none of
the listed positions in regards to typo3.

> If we put that in the distribution Christian can probably sleep a little
> better. It seems a big waste of developer resources to replace the
> library just for such a line in the license.

The patch for removing jsmin is already in gerrit. The problem is: can
an extension in the TER include non free code? No it cannot!
The terms of TER clearly say:

Terms of use:
By registering an extension key you accept that all content uploaded to
TER (TYPO3 Extension Repository) matches these terms:
* Published under the GPL license or GPL compatible
* You hold the copyright of the code or do not infringe the rights of
others (meaning that work from others must be under GPL or GPL
compatible already!)

And the above license is not GPL and it is not GPL compliant.

> We could/should replace the library for technical reasons, but then we
> leave it to the Release Manager to decide whether it should go to older
> releases.

Of cause its their decision. I'm no lawyer so i cannot say who can be
sued in case someone feels aggressive. But i would be careful with such
issues. We live in a world with million dollar suits for hot coffee...

PS: before someone argues about "good" and "evil": is a typo3 site about
prenatal diagnosis good or evil?

--
 MfG, Christian Welzel

  GPG-Key:     pub 4096R/5117E119 2011-09-19
  Fingerprint: 3688 337C 0D3E 3725 94EC  E401 8D52 CDE9 5117 E119