[TYPO3-core] Translation 'en' missing

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Fri Dec 28 14:35:05 CET 2012

Hi,

first of all, I'd like to point out, that when working with complex[1]
multi language sites, the concept of having a "default" language is very
limiting, if not to say: a real pain.

This especially applies for translation of records, but it also applies
to translating labels.

On 27.12.12 15:40, Daniel Alder wrote:

> ...finally if I am removing this line (in 4.6, 4.7&  6.0), would you
> approve my commits?

I do not see how doing so would have a negative impact. What could
possibly break if we just remove this line? Why was it added in the
first place?

> Furthermore:
> In general it would be more persistent to use only the official locales:
> RFC 1766 and ISO 639, since it's used for config.locale_all already.

The whole language and translation stuff would be far more consistent
with using proper locales all over the place (instead of e.g. language
uids). Would be great if you could work on that and make suggestions
(this is a totally other topic though).

It would also be good to have a streamlined, easy to use API for label
translations. Currently it's just a mess...

Kind regards,
Helmut

[1] With complex I mean e.g. a TYPO3 instance with two domains but
require a different default language for each domain.

--
Helmut Hummel
Release Manager TYPO3 6.0

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!