[TYPO3-core] CMS 6.1 - "Incremental Improvement" - Ideas

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Sun Dec 23 12:38:36 CET 2012

Hey contributors,

I was elected to be the Release Manager of 6.1, so I made up my mind
about a possible release date and some ideas, I want to share with you.

My hope for 6.1 is that it is going to be a clean and incremental
release after the huge 6.0 success, with straightening out things that
are a bit hicky right now, and things that couldn't make it in 6.0. For
me 6.1 should be "Improving" everything we have, but not adding a lot of
new features that we have been missing for so long. Well, improving also
means to add some cool stuff, of course, but it's not about making 6.1
bloated with half-baked things.

At the same time, I'd like to aim for a more streamlined UI in the
backend, and more speed for the whole system.

However, as this isn't "my" release, and it all comes together in
working as collaborators in a team, I'm glad to get your input, ideas
and views on 6.1.

My personal itches:
 * Finally moving everything existing from prototype.js to jQuery
(starting to do so already on my christmas vacation :))
 * Make FAL more prominent and powerful and extensible (ready for
"Media" extension, migrations etc)
 * Finding a good API for these "Link picker" windows, there is just too
much JS noise.
 * Cleaning up the Tree APIs
 * Remove old configuration options (Image Magick) and streamline them

The rough schedule for the release is:

 + Alpha 1: Feb 19, 2013
 + Alpha 2: Mar 5, 2013
 + Beta 1: Mar 19, 2013
 + Beta 2: Apr 9, 2013
 + RC 1: Apr 23, 2013
 + Final Release: Apr 30, 2013

The schedule is a bit shorter, and tighter, but as we only have 4 months
left, I don't see the need for a large beta phase.

Starting from Jan 14, I'd like to do weekly status meetings with the
release team. If anyone is interested in joining us, let me know.

I will also prepare a news article for early january to announce 6.1
properly, once we summoned the input here.

All the best,
Benni.