[TYPO3-core] How to refer to TYPO3_CONF_VARS in the documentation (since v6.0)

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Dec 6 15:52:50 CET 2012

Hi Ernesto,

> Wasn't it the plan some time ago to split up "Inside TYPO3" into
> separate documents to avoid having a "huge package" which needs to be
> "updated at once"? Having a separate document per "chapter" would allow
> to release new chapters faster and developers will be able to identify
> which section is how old more easily. We could start doing that with
> "new chapters" (like this "LocalConfiguration" documentation) to avoid a
> huge overhead.

I don't think this was ever planned. Some things made sense like
extracting TCA reference from Core API and some other areas had need for
such extension documentation (e.g. skinning or FAL) as to warrant their
own manuals, but I think splitting the manuals too much would make
information even harder to find.

Furthermore with the move to ReST, splitting documents is not as
important as when we used OpenOffice, where large files were really
unwieldy. With ReST one can work on a single chapter at a time and we
release continuously. Of course that involves keeping people informed of
which chapter was updated and is something we need to think about. My
current worry would be rather to find a general way of marking out of
date sections.

That being said, maybe there are reasons to split Inside TYPO3.
Reviewing it after all these years is definitely an opportunity to keep
an eye open for this.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter