[TYPO3-core] TYPO3 6.0 with name spaces and removed merge freeze

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Sun Aug 26 14:55:52 CEST 2012

Hi everybody,

we'd like to give some more details on the current actions in the master
branch (TYPO3 6.0) and the next steps to be taken.

Name spacing

The complete code base is moved to PHP name spaces.
With https://review.typo3.org/#/c/14015/ we've merged the biggest core
change in the history of the project, adding 285 thousands lines of code
and deleting 310 thousands. This patch evolved from a fully automatic
script that took around 3 days for the whole conversion. While this was
an amazing start, lots of details showed up afterwards. A cool team of
motivated people worked hard the last days to stabilise the core again.
Over fifty patches were merged already.

At the moment most biggest flaws are fixed, so backend, frontend, cli
and install tool should work as usual. We are aware that there are still
lots of minor issues, but for now we're very happy to have a working
code base again.

There are still lots of things to do, you can help with testing and
fixing stuff. Please relate any tickets regarding the name space switch
to our umbrella issue http://forge.typo3.org/issues/40095. We will
continue to fix details, and will also work on some systematic issues
that popped up like the additional parenthesis in the code.

The main decision is that the whole name space code will stay and we
will deliver TYPO3 6.0 with it. We also started to prepare documentation
for the whole topic.

Merge freeze

The declared merge freeze for core master is removed again.
Be aware that the feature freeze is still in effect. So, we're happy to
see new bug fix patches on gerrit again. Most current pending patches on
gerrit need to be rebased to the new class locations. All 'old' class
locations have a comment with the name of the new class name, so it
should be possible to locate new code quickly.

Regards
Christian