[TYPO3-core] Breaking changes included in 4.5 leading to regressions

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Thu Apr 19 10:04:53 CEST 2012

Hi fellows,

I know of at least three[1] changes that went into 4.5.x which are/ were
breaking changes. Besides that both lead to regressions in the following
bugfix releases.
While we probably never can 100% sure to avoid regressions, we should
certaintly be more careful when merging bugfixes in released versions.
And of course we should stick to our own rules e.g. to not introdce DB
changes in bugfix releases, or allowing additional SQL queries to fix a bug.

Besides that, we should set up a rule that at least fixes for regression
bugs *must* provide unit tests (if at all feasable), to try to avoid
regressions from fixing regressions.

Kind regards,
Helmut

[1]
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/36238
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/15984
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/17284

--
Helmut Hummel
TYPO3 Security Team Leader, TYPO3 v4 Core Team Member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: typo3.org