[TYPO3-core] Gerrit and new review policy for TYPO3 v4 Core

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Mar 28 20:06:37 CEST 2011

Hi all,

One thing that appeared quite clearly during the Bug Day is that "we"
(meaning in this case "at least some members of the community and in
particular of the core team) feel that we don't yet have a clear mapping
between our old review process (i.e. two +1's by reading and two +1' by
testing, at least from a core team member for each) and the new review
process with Gerrit's "verified" and "reviewed" states, which use +1's
and +2's.

BTW please note if you hadn't noticed/been informed yet, Karsten
activated the +1/+2 scheme for "verified" too.

What's left to define IMO is what those +1's and +2's from Gerrit
exactly mean. The basic idea is that a +2 is what it really takes to be
allowed to do the final push into the repository. Only project members
(i.e. core team members for the v4 core) are allowed to give a +2.

A +1 by anyone would be just a positive vote, but two +1's are not
equivalent to a +2. Furthermore a single +2 is not enough - unless the
patch is considered a no-brainer - at least another +1 is needed on top
of a +2.

This would seem to mean that a core team member cannot give a +2 unless
there's already a +1. He/she would have to give a +1, wait for another
+1, convert his/her +1 to a +2 and push. OTOH we could say that we are
responsible enough and be allowed to give a +2, while waiting for
another +1 to happen, and push only then.

What work process do we want? How exactly does the v5 team do it?

BTW are votes canceled when a new version of a patch is uploaded?

Cheers

-- Francois Suter