[TYPO3-core] [GIT] Best practice with daily tasks

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Mar 4 13:20:05 CET 2011

Steffen Kamper schrieb am 03.03.2011 21:50:

>>> I recognized some patches on gerrit that are now for master (trunk) only
>>> but need to be applied to 4_5 as well.
>>
>> As some were afraid this would lead to multiple/additional parallel
>> reviews, as we can't force a relation/dependancy between these commits,
>> we started with a recommendation like this:
>> -
>> http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/Contribute_Walkthrough
>>
>> I am not sure at all if that is applicable in pratice though.

> maybe we can write a line in the commit message like:
> Other branch: TYPO3_4-4, TYPO3_4-5
>
> This would be helpful too if we read commit log, then we know if a patch
> was fixed in other branches too.

It might be useful to have this information on the first review request
*somewhere*, but I wonder if the commit message is the right place,
because it is not really sure at this point in time that it will get
committed to older branches as well. And the commit message will go
upstream after it passes Gerrit, leaving the impression that it is also
already applied to the other branches.

I think we should record such information in the *Issue Tracker* instead
of in Gerrit, which should be used solely to process review of the code
and tests.

So as soon as a patch enters the review system, we add a note in the
issue tracker:

- review for master: http://review.typo3.org/XXXX
- also relevant for TYPO3_4-5, TYPO3_4-4

As soon the review passed and the patch is applied to master, the issue
is not "Resolved", but instead someone pushes two new review requests
for 4-5 and 4-4. Since the patch was already approved, the core dev can
then "durchwinken" (wave through) the new reviews and then add the
information to the issue tracker.

Only after this process is finished, the final note in the issue tracker:

Reviewed and merged:

master: http://review.typo3.org/XXXX
TYPO3_4-5: http://review.typo3.org/YYYY
TYPO3_4-4: http://review.typo3.org/ZZZZ