[TYPO3-core] Developing features and git/gerrit

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Wed Jun 1 10:47:10 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 01.06.2011 10:18, schrieb Steffen Kamper:
> Hi Thorsten,
[...]
>> +1 for Github
>>

> but this means to push complete typo3 to GitHub. I mean, if the feature
> is complete, it should be converted to a real patch for review, so it
> fits to gerrit completely (maybe only 15 files of core are changed),
> don't you think so?

There is nothing that prevents you from doing so! In fact it is pretty
simple. github is an EXACT clone of review.typo3.org (as a matter of
fact there are even more mirrors on forge.typo3.org and git.typo3.org)

You can push into branches as *you* like on github.
'git push github whateverLocalFeature'

And when you think it is ready for review you just do
'git log origin/HEAD..whateverLocalFeature'
and push into review.

The key is to use *mutiple' remotes in your local repository/working tree.

Assuming you have one workingtree with two remotes: 'origin' set to
review/git.typo3.org and 'github' to your github rep.

[SIMPLIFIED OUTPUT!!!]
pn at delle:/typo3_src_git/master$ git remote -v
github	https://github.com/typo3/TYPO3v4-Core.git
origin	git://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git
security ssh://<xx>@review.typo3.org:....

As the SHA's are identical for objects/trees(mirrors!) there is no
overhead involved at all(only couple of bytes(!) to store markers/SHA1)!
Except of course for any commits that are specific on some of these
remotes. ;)

Other than that: gerrit/git sandboxes can be read by anyone, just not
written. So coworking/sharing patches via pull/merge is possible!

We could add some branches that would bypass review but as we already
have all the posibilities at hand already we'd like to not make setup to
complex within gerrit as it would make managing a lot more work there.

FYI: gerrit is currently switching from DB to git to store permissions.
 From what I understood it is done to move permission setup into the
project itself. So probably in midterm things might change here.

Greets and hth,
Peter
--
Peter Niederlag