[TYPO3-core] Issue closing policy

Tolleiv Nietsch info at tolleiv.de
Tue Jul 19 13:21:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

some might have seen that I cleaned up few old issues in the Core
bugtracker yesterday. And I closed at least one issue (
http://forge.typo3.org/issues/19346 ) which might still be relevant -
and this raised the questions whether it was ok to close it or not.

Besides that I'm currently preparing to write a short "Friendly Ghost"
doku, so I though that's a good point to have a discussion on what the
policy should be to close a (inactive) bug.

My suggestion would be the following:

- Close bugs with the status "Needs feedback" if they got no attention
during the last 30days (maybe 90days).

- Bugs with the status "New" or "Accepted" should be checked every once
in a while to see if feedback is needed or if people made false patch
promises - if that's the case the bug should be set to "Needs feedback", ...

The policy is short to keep it simple and I'd also suggest to be strict
with this. The reason for this suggestion
is that in my experience (e.g. with the TemplaVoila bugtracker) people
(even Core-Devs) usually don't lookup old issues to continue these, they
start a new issue once they start working on something. And therefore
I'd be pracmatic and would prefer to get/keep the list as short as
possible even if some existing problems might not appear in it.

So just let me know if you'd prefer modifications or if my suggestion is
fine.

Cheers,
Tolleiv
--