[TYPO3-core] RFC #17175: t3lib_compressor should write .htaccess

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Fri Jan 21 01:11:02 CET 2011

Hi Christian,

I discussed this change with Ernesto.

There have been _.htacess files since long time in subdirectories of typo3/.
However, almost nobody knew it/used them, as they also have to be
renamed every time, when the source was replaced.

One day, the decision was made to just include them as .htaccess, until
now, there are 5 in the core.
However, compressor writes to typo3temp/compressor/, where we can't
include a .htaccess that easy.

> ..htaccess is specific to apache. TYPO3 runs with many more webservers
> (apache, IIS, nginx, lighthttpd, ...).
Other web servers will silently ignore them AFAIK (otherwise they would
already fail..). If sb. is using sth. else than Apache or IIS, he
probably cares about performance and add own rules, specific to the web
server.
In case of sb. does not want these rules, the file can also be created
empty/with other content and will be kept.

 > This is a problem on admin level, but not for TYPO3 itself.
See argumentation above - many admins don't care but have a bitch about
TYPO3's performance.

 > We could add an example to _.htaccess to give
 > admins an information on how it should be done if using apache, but
 > not more.
Yes, that was my first intention, too. Just adding it to the _.htaccess.
Ernesto's counter-argument was that's it then used also for FE. However
IMHO this wouldn't cause problems, but also improve FE performance.

> Especially, we shouldn't write .htaccess files during runtime, it's a
> setup issue, not runtime.
I'm fine with both ways, as long as it's automatically there or easy to
spot for admins that there are pretty useful options, which could just
be enabled.

Kind regards
Steffen

--