[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #17177: Live Search: Search query loops over all tables even after max search results have been found

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Thu Jan 20 22:16:19 CET 2011

Hey guys,

This is a SVN patch request.

Type: Bugfix
Bugtracker reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=17177
Branch: trunk

Problem:
When executing a live search, we loop over all tables defined in the
TCA. After this search is complete, we then slice the search array and
throw away everything we don't need.

This is a waste of time and makes the search feel slower.

Solution:

For better performance, we should stop searching as soon as we've found
enough results. We can decrease the LIMIT on searches and then stop once
it hits 0.

Additional Notes:
To test, just do normal searches with live search and make sure that 5
results are shown.

In the future, it would be nice to have more intelligence in the search,
so this just fine times the current behavior.

Thanks,
Jeff