[TYPO3-core] 0017073: Final Integration of the pagetree

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 17 09:15:54 CET 2011

Hi,

On 17-1-2011 8:55, Tolleiv.Nietsch wrote:
> Well what a maintenance horror - whenever a agency want's to modify the
> pagetree they have to take care of two pagetree's and every extension
> maintainer has to push out a special 4.5 version - that's not good at
> all. Why is that - we're able to show the old pagetree for every
> extension - why isn't it possible to show the new one instead?

I have to agree with Tolleiv here. Any BE module which just uses the
pagetree "frame" as generated by kickstarter should automagically get
the new pagetree.

This is not only a problem for extension maintainers, but more for users
of the backend. We want to remain backwards compatible for extensions to
make sure that unmaintained extension keep working as long as possible.
That's why there are no type hints in "old" parts of the API and that's
why there is a two version deprecation interval, etc.

If the new pagetree is not automatically used for existing extensions
users will suddenly see a different pagetree if they use an existing BE
module supplied by an extension which does not have specific 4.5 code to
show the new pagetree. Very confusing! This will also result in a lot of
questions / criticism...

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert