[TYPO3-core] RFC: Bug #16702: TCEForm select dropdowns have text overlapping icon in Webkit

Susanne Moog typo3 at susannemoog.de
Sat Jan 15 00:01:16 CET 2011

On 14.01.2011 22:37, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 01/11/2011 12:19 AM, Jeff Segars wrote:
>> Safari Mac - Needs text-indent
>> Safari Win - Needs text-indent
>> Chrome Mac - Needs text-indent
>> Chrome Win - No text-indent
>> Chrome Linux - ???
>
> Opera 10.62 Linux - No icon at all before and after patch
> Chrome 5.0.307.11 beta Linux - No icon at all before and after patch
> Firefox 3.6.13 Linux - No change before and after, icon a bit too low
>
> So, at least no change in these browsers ;)
>
> If we tackle other brothers with another issue, you can count that as a
> +1 on reading and testing.

just FYI:
"CSS 2.1 does not define which properties apply to form controls and
frames, or how CSS can be used to style them. User agents may apply CSS
properties to these elements. Authors are recommended to treat such
support as experimental. A future level of CSS may specify this
further." [1]

So: I wouldn't rely on the browsers handling this in any way consistent
as it's simply nowhere defined. If you want to have fancy dropdowns use
divs and JS :(

Susanne

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html#conformance
--
What's worth the price is always worth the fight
Every second counts 'cause there's no second try

TYPO3 Core Team Member