[TYPO3-core] RFC #16426 Bugfix: Link field for images is too short to provide links for every image

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu Jan 6 21:48:48 CET 2011

>> Since there was no multiline textarea before for any kind of link field,
>> people should easily get used to it, because they have to change their
>> behaviour anyway.
> But then this multiline textarea works slightly different than the other
> ones (in the situation when one link containing a , is entered).

Nope - since we haven't got any "other ones".
We got other link fields, but not in form of a textarea.
We got other textarea fields, but not for links.

>>> An upgrade wizard converting , to \n would be IMHO the way to go.
>>
>> IMHO this is not necessary, since the manually inserted single link that
>> must be containing a comma as well is the only scenario that requires
>> the manual linebreak - anything else will work out of the box.
> But existing data have to be converted, if no finding-the-delimiter
> magic is implemented.

It's already in the alternative version.

The current situation is:
1. Any comma works as a separator, while the rest between the commas is
regarded as URL.
2. The field is an input field that makes it impossible to insert
linebreaks by pressing enter.

The new situation will be:
1. Any line break will work as a separator
2. Commas will still work as separators when there is NO linebreak at all
3. Any link entered manually in the link field has to be followed by a
line feed

Conclusion: Existing image_link fields don't contain any comma in any
working URL AND they don't contain any line break.

The TypoSript of the alternative solution checks exactly this.
If there is a linebreak, the value must have been inserted after
updating to version 4.5, so we can safely use the line break as a delimiter.

If there is none, the value has been inserted before updating to 4.5, so
we can safely use the comma as a delimiter unless the user forgot to use
the line feed AND the link contains a comma. But this is very unlikely,
since people were not able to enter this kind of URL before, which
simply means: They must have been reading that it is possible now and
therefor know they have to add the linefeed.

So the question is: Do we want to add stuff to the update wizard for
this bugfix and therefor might not be able to deliver it with 4.5 (which
would be a pity), or do we point those few people that might have
forgotten to enter the line feed to the CSH or the documentation and
forget about the wizard?

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian