[TYPO3-core] RFC #16878: Feature: Make t3lib_utility_Client::getBrowserInfo() aware of more operating systems

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Tue Jan 4 18:32:41 CET 2011

On 12/30/10 3:00 PM, Andreas Lappe wrote:
> This is an SVN patch request.
>
> Type: Feature
>
> Bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16878
>
> Branches:
> trunk
>
> Problem:
> t3lib_utility_Client::getBrowserInfo() currently misses to correcly detect
> around 120 million iOS-devices and 60 million android-devices. Windows XP,
> Vista and 7 are all detected as Windows NT – which is correct if talking
> about the kernel but wrong otherwise. I'd vote for separate detection of
> them, but it's debatable.
>
> Solution:
> Add iOS and android as system-variables and conditions to detect them.
>
> Notes:
> I also added some unittests for OS I could look up by firing up vmware –
> this could be extended, but that's another RFC.
>
> It'd be nice to see this in 4.5 as it's more or less a no-brainer, but
> if people rely on detecting Windows XP by matching on NT, it might break
> that. So maybe you see this different…
>
> So long
> Andy

Hey Andy,
Thanks for your patch!  We're already past the feature freeze for TYPO3
4.5, so if this patch is considered a new feature it will have to wait
for TYPO3 4.6.

I would consider this a bugfix however, as returning Windows NT, Mac,
and Linux in so many places doesn't seem right. I think we need an
official opinion from Steffen or Ernesto whether this can go into 4.5
though.

As far as backwards compatibility goes, I wonder if we can do something
similar to how the browser detection is handled.  In getBrowserInfo() it
returns the specific browser as well as an "all" entry with other
entries.  In t3lib_matchcondition_abstract->evaluateConditionCommon(),
the "all" entry is used so that the older, less specific entries still
match.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jeff