[TYPO3-core] RFC #15721: Bug: Memcache::delete() without timeout param causes loss of memcache server in pool

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Sun Feb 6 12:58:05 CET 2011

> Bugtracker references:
> http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15721
>
> Branches:
> (all that have memcached capability)
>
> Problem:
> 	bool Memcache::delete ( string $key [, int $timeout = 0 ] )
>
> Different versions of memcache handle the missing time differently.
> Prior to 1.4.3 a time wasn't required but 1.4.4+ requires a 0 for a timeout.
>
> Solution:
> Explicitly state a timeout of 0 in code.

Crazy shit.. (no more to say ^^)

I'm pretty sure you already found
http://brian.moonspot.net/php-memcached-issues
He aimed to correct the documentation and instead write
> DON'T USE THIS PARAMETER, IT HAS BEEN DEPRECATED IN THE MEMCACHED SERVER!

Version 1.4.4? Wow.. it's from 2004. So older Debians used < 1.4.4?

Can you imagine that it has sth. to do with this revision?
http://svn.php.net/viewvc?view=revision&revision=271303
Thy introduced a new setting default_timeout there.

I have no memcache setup, so I can't test it.. it REALLY sounds weird to
have to pass a value for a deprecated parameter (and the mentioned blog
also states that it should not be used).
I trust you, Michiel, that it might solve problems, however I have the
fear that it breaks other installations.

Have you searched for more information in the web? Otherwise I tend to
ask the pecl-memcache developers directly, what they think of this option.

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert