[TYPO3-core] Backporting #29498 Disable compression for inlineJs in Backend

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Dec 12 11:13:25 CET 2011

Steffen Gebert schrieb am 11.12.2011 22:07:

> I've just pushed #29498 "Disable compression for inlineJs in Backend" to
> 4.5 [1].
>
> People say that the BE of 4.6 feels faster than in 4.5 (*) and this was
> (to my knowledge) the only change really affecting BE speed (**)
>
> Therefore I ask for including it into 4.5. Reasons given in the commit
> message:
>
>> JSMin is a major performance nightmare and no network connection can be
>> as slow as it would justify to spend so much time to execute JSmin
>> several times for each and every backend request.
>>
>> As long as we have no fast replacement in core available, disable
>> compression for all JS snippets added with
>> t3lib_PageRenderer::addJsInlineCode in the Backend.
>>
>> JSMin's share of execution time was about 20-25% of the page generation
>> time, for almost empty backend pages even ~50%.
>
> As I cannot imagine any problems (and there have been no complains about
> 4.6 not minifying inline-js in the BE), I think this one helps at least
> a bit improving reaction time of 4.5-BE.

+1 on reading and testing (yep, feels good to write that once in a while
instead of just clicking...).

For me rendering a alt_doc.php FORM with a tt_content element went from
700ms to around 500ms, while the HTML size went from 159.18 Kb to 159.37
Kb. *Definitively* not worth the hassle!

Thanks for the profiling!

Cheers,
Ernesto