[TYPO3-core] RFC #29248: Cannot use own translation with XLIFF

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Aug 25 17:53:10 CEST 2011

Xavier Perseguers schrieb am 25.08.2011 16:30:

> Using this list again because I'd like to start the discussion whether
> it makes sense to backport it (or not). It can be seen as a feature, I
> see it since ages as a bad behaviour of TYPO3...
>
> Type: Bug (in master), BadBehaviour/Feature (in 4.4, 4.5)
>
> Bugtracker reference:
> http://forge.typo3.org/issues/29248
>
> Branches: 4.5, 4.4 (master shall not be discussed here)
>
> Problem:
> XLIFF files contains the definition for a single language. Additional
> languages cannot be stored as when using ll-XML (locallang*.xml) files.
>
> Those translations should be stored in
>
> typo3conf/l10n/<langKey>/<extKey>/path/to/<langKey>.locallang*.xlf
>
> instead.
>
> If an extension developer wants to create a multilingual extension with
> XLIFF files, he has no other choice than using the official TYPO3
> translation server to provide the corresponding translations. This is
> not realistic as the translation server is not intended to be used for
> each and every extension available on TER.

Hm, why not? Wouldn't it scale to allow it? I would find it rather bad
if it wouldn't, as it is usually not the extension developer that wants
to deal with the "translation".

> Solution:
> Allow translations to be stored next to the main language:
>
> locallang.xlf
> fr.locallang.xlf
> de.locallang.xlf
> locallang_db.xlf
> fr.locallang_db.xlf
>
> Note:
> This has the side-effect of enabling this support for ll-XML as well.

Why is one coupled with the other? XLIFF support is not backported
(yet?) to 4.5, so why would any change be required in 4.5? The
ext-author wanting to support 4.5 *and* later will have to ship
locallang.xml *and* XLIFF files anyway, so he can have multiple xlf
files and a single monster locallang.xml file.

But maybe I just didn't understood the reasoning very well.

If it has to be split up, I would rather don't use the language-code as
prefix, but as a suffix:

locallang.xlf
locallang.fr.xlf
locallang.de.xlf
locallang_db.xlf
locallang_db.fr.xlf

> As such, this could be backported to 4.5 and 4.4 as well. This would
> allow developers currently dealing with gigantic locallang*.xml files to
> split them (e.g., take EXT:seminar).

Would allow, but with no further benefit apart from the cosmetics?

> Note 2:
> Description is taken from bug tracker, references to XLIFF do not make
> sense in the context of 4.5 and 4.4 but this way you have a clear
> understanding of why this patch is a bugfix for master and not a new
> feature (except for the side-effect, I agree).

I guess I didn't get it right. Anyway, if a subset is intended to be
backported with a different subject and description, why not create an
own issue for it? The new one can reference the master-one.

> Note 3:
>
> Kind regards

Note 3.. Kind regards? :)

Cheers,