[TYPO3-core] RFC #15787: Misleading security message in extension manager

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Sep 24 16:44:08 CEST 2010

Steffen Gebert schrieb am 24.09.2010 15:58:
> On 24.09.10 15:01, Marcus Krause wrote:
>> Branches:
>> 4-3,4-4,trunk
>>
>> Problem:
>> The (flash) message which informs users that extensions might contain
>> security vulnerabilities and refers to the TYPO3 Security Team pages in
>> case of a problem *is misleading*.
>>
>> The TYPO3 Security Team has received several reports of users who are
>> contacting the team simply because of this message.
>
> Thanks for changing the wording! I never liked it.
>
> Unfortunately, we can't change labels, but have to introduce new ones
> (because translators wouldn't recognize the changes).

Actually the problem that we cannot change labels is because the same
label is translated and used for *every* release. So if we change the
label, the translators will probably be able to "re-translate", but this
will affect all releases of TYPO3.

In case of this particular change, I would say that this is not a
problem at all, because the old wording is not "wrong" but only
misleading. So the semantic didn't change.

But I would rather hear Dmitry's opinion on that issue, if there are
other traps around such change, and if we should introduce a new label
just to correct the old one (and deprecate the old one).

Cheers,
Ernesto