[TYPO3-core] RFC: #15699: Provide a wizard for media to process the video url

Helmut Hummel helmut at typo3.org
Mon Sep 13 23:22:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 13.09.10 19:16, Steffen Kamper wrote:

> Ah, sorry. We removed mtv as they changed their way delivering videos,
> so i forgot to remove it from the provider list.

This proves my first feeling, that the process_<providername> methods
are quite hardcoded, which doesn't reflect the fact that the HTML on
these sites is subject to change. So we probably also need to be able to
change/ configure the parsing of the url, not only to add additional
providers.

I also do not like the mix of concerns in the mediaWizard class. While
on one hand beeing a kind of manager or dispatcher selecting the right
provider, it also carries some providers.

In my eyes it would be cleaner to speperate these concerns into a
manager/dispatcher class and different provider classes. Then we could
have a provider interface requiring the method "processMediaUrl" and get
rid of this "magic" process_foobar function names.

That said, we should think of either delivering only a few providers and
add more in a extension delivered from TER or at least have the
possibility to override providers by such an extension.

I can offer an updated patch taking my comments into account, but first
I want to hear from you if it is worth the hassle. I do not insist in
doing it this way, just wanted to comment what I think about it.

Regards Helmut