[TYPO3-core] [TYPO3-v4] Re: FYI #15601: Change all core PHP files to UTF8 encoding

Marcus Krause marcus#exp2010 at t3sec.info
Fri Sep 3 00:18:15 CEST 2010

Hi!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb am 08/30/2010 08:57 PM Uhr:
> Hi,
>
> FYI, the following patch has been commited to the core.
>
> Type: Code cleanup
>
> BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15601
>
> Branches: trunk
>

> Problem:
> We want to have UTF8 PHP files in order to give proper credit to authors
> containing non-ASCII characters in their names. This mostly affects PHP
> comments.

Interesting. To be honest, to find such dramatic change announced by a
simple FYI is surprising.

To my knowledge, the Core was not in ASCII (see problem description
above) but in iso-8859-1. And this was sufficient to even properly
encode Kasper's name. So I wonder which author cannot be encoded in
iso-8859-1.

In addition, you mention that fluid and extbase were already in UTF8.
Integrating them as such is(was) a clear violation of the CGL you
request TYPO3 Core developers to follow.

Besides that, you state that some files have been left iso-8859-1 encoded.

I understand that even before (with the iso-8859-1 encoding) it was not
consistent (apart from fluid/extbase; e.g. adodb).

Separate from your comments to this message I'd like to see efforts to
make the encoding really consistent throughout the core. Having it mixed
up will surely cause mangled characters allover the code.

Follow-up to typo3.projects.v4

Marcus.