[TYPO3-core] RFC #15937: Bug: [Caching framework] Improve error message if no frontend was defined for core caches

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Tue Oct 26 23:12:05 CEST 2010

Hey,

On 10/26/2010 11:13 AM, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> I would go the way of saying this is then a problem of extbase. The
> caching framework API should specify that any caches should be
> registered at "init" time (ext_localconf.php) so that everyone knows
> about them and now only on "first usage".
>
> Registering a cache early to the manager does not impose such a
> performance penalty, does it?

Yes, in fact it's not that much of an overhead. But it does produce
unneeded overhead, take a site with 1k pages and extbase (or tt_news, or
some other ext using the cf) being used only on a small number of pages.
You'll get several class instances and (more important) a lot of unused
connections to backend storages for each and every (FE) call.
This just isn't smart. Caches should be used and instantiated when they
are needed and the cache manager is designed to handle this in a nice way.

What's wrong with just declaring all possible caches in TYPO3_CONF_VARS
and use them when needed? We just need logic to throw meaningful error
messages if the declaration is not complete.

Thanks
Christian