[TYPO3-core] RFC #15990: Introduce a new CSH API function and make use of it in TCEforms

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Thu Oct 14 17:34:41 CEST 2010

Hey all,

this is a SVN patch request.

Branches: trunk only

BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15990

Type: UI improvement / feature

The Usability and Design team decided in July to get rid of the hundreds
of help icons in the TYPO3 Backend. instead, the right labels should be
underlined (with dots) and act as a tooltip.

For this, a new BEfunc function wrapInHelp wraps the help around a text,
which can now be used in all the placed in the core.

Also, the patch removes the option to show fulltext help, help icons or
no help, as it is now shown all the time.

Additionally, we make use of it in TCEforms, but the rest of the icons
are replaced in a separate RFC. Yes, it's not perfect, as it's a CSS
solution right now and hovering over the titles will make it hard to
reach the real input field.

Once this is in, the next steps are:
- Make ExtJS tooltips out of this, so we have proper hovering (only show
help if hovered over it longer than 200ms)
- Remove as many icons in core as possible and replace it by hovered

All the best,
Benni.