[TYPO3-core] RFC #15937: Bug: [Caching framework] Improve error message if no frontend was defined for core caches

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Fri Oct 8 20:45:49 CEST 2010

Hey,

On 10/08/2010 08:17 PM, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>> Seems that even some extensions do not come with proper frontend
>> definitions, see for instance http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15940
>>
>> Thus, I've moved the exception from core cache handling to the cache
>> factory. This will now catch all frontends which have not been defined
>> in $GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['SYS']['caching']['cacheFrontends'].
>
> If extensions used to work with 4.4, they will then fail with an
> exception in 4.5? That is a "no go" I would say, even if the exception
> provides a nice message of what is wrong.

- We committed the un-hardcode patch to 4.4 as well ...
- Extension caches where not affected by this in the first place: In
case of tt_news: I'm pretty sure this never worked before, every
additional cache (next to core caches) always had to have some frontend
definition, the implicit variableFrontend was only done for core caches
before.

> Better would be to fallback to "t3lib_cache_frontend_VariableFrontend"
> in case no frontend is defined for a specific caching setup.

I'd really love to _not_ have some arbitrary fallback definition in this
case, to not over complicate things again (the whole initialization
stuff isn't really simple and straight already).

Regards
Christian