[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Nov 12 23:33:27 CET 2010

Hi Ernesto,

> I would kindly ask people discussing the following issues to move to
> typo3.dev or typo3.projects.v4:
>
> 1) methods for conversion from other charsets to utf-8 => not the scope
> of this RFC

Yes, you are right.

> 2) setDBinit deprecation => I would ask Benni to remove that statement
> from the patch "NOTICE: This option is deprecated since TYPO3 4.5, and
> will be removed in 4.7." and we can discuss the benefits of this setting
> in general elsewhere and decide later on if we want to deprecate it or not

It sounds doable to keep the setting.

> 3) collation issues, what's the best default etc => This could be fixed
> later if we find that the current approach is not enough (v2 patch makes
> the install routine to "CREATE DATABASE" with "CHARACTER SET utf8")
>
> Let's concentrate on getting this feature in and avoid the "noise"
> around the topic (which of course is very interesting and everyone has
> stories about charset troubles to tell), as it does not help. It would
> be more helpful if more people could actually *test* this. :)

You are right with all your points. Sorry that I first answered to all
other messages, unfortunately your mail was the last one in the queue... :-)

But anyway, I think the patch is almost through now. The procedure is
clear and we know it will work as long as conversion is not involved.
I'll try to implement the suggestions that were made, and publish a new
version tomorrow.

Regarding the conversion stuff: I think that's an interesting discussion
and it more and more looks like we get a converter ready for version 4.5
already...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out