[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Fri Nov 12 10:22:47 CET 2010

Hi,

Am 11.11.2010 23:01, schrieb Michael Stucki:
[...]
> I'm now in favour of creating a simple mysqldump and replacing the
> CHARACTER SET statement from table definitions.
>
> The difficulty is only that some fields/tables have proper charset
> definitions, and some not. We need to find out how well this works, but
> I'm getting closer to think it is absolutely doable.

To get it at least to 99% failsafe you will need to additionally get the
metainfo and might have to recode PARTS of the dump, or dump each table
separatly.

I still believe it should be done either by proper ALTER statements or
even by just manually hacking on the MySQL Meta-Data. (if UTF-8 is in a
latin1 field, can't we just set the meta data straight forward in
information_scheme properly?).

Greets,
Peter
--