[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Nov 11 09:30:03 CET 2010

Hi Jigal,

> To make the entire backend use UTF-8 there is no real need to have the
> database, tables or columns use a utf8 charset or compatible collation.

I think it depends on the connection. If the connection is UTF8 then
this will definitely fail, as soon as you try to store characters which
are not available in Latin1.

Having a Latin1 connection then it may work, although it's an ugly
constellation. The result will be a database which is marked as Latin1
but has UTF-8 content. Try to edit such a table in phpMyAdmin, and you
will see the problem... Also, converting is not easily possible because
a conversion of the DB from Latin1 to UTF8 would convert the content, so
the result would be double-encoded content.

This is a very broken configuration, however I'm aware that many are
still using it because forceCharset made this so easy to use.
However, we should avoid it as much as possible.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out