[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Wed Nov 10 16:26:15 CET 2010

Am 10.11.2010 15:04, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:

>> So I would recommend a check of the default charset of the database
>> and a check of all table columns for any existing tables within the
>> DB.
>
> Not necessary at all.

Care to elaborate?

My fear is that someone tries to install TYPO3 on a DB that contains (empty) TYPO3 tables (eg by
using a schema dump to create it by hand). In this case you could end up with columns that are not utf8.

>> Additionally I suggest to set the collation "utf8_general_ci"
>> explicitly for a new DB. I'm not sure if you can change the default
>> collation for a charset, but why risk anything.
>
> No, default collations are defined in MySQL. Maybe you can change them by recompiling MySQL, but
> that is not a normal situation.

Using COLLATE instead of CHARSET in the CREATE statement is just a few bytes more.

Masi