[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Nov 10 14:35:58 CET 2010

Hi Masi,

>> This query only changes client + results charset, but it does not change
>> the connection charset. However, it's a requirement that all of these
>> three (client + connection + results) character sets are UTF-8,
>> otherwise you may loose content on your way...
>
> For the connection you could use any other Unicode encoding "ucs2" being the only other that Mysql
> supports. In this case Mysql would of course do extra recodings from and to ucs2/utf8 all the time.

That is true but I guess it will not occur in practice. Those who use
some non-utf8 unicode for sure know what they are doing...

> And what's more the individual table columns must all be utf8 as well (or ucs2).

That's right, but a converter is yet missing for this task. I'm working
on a solution which should autotically (without asking any questions)
cover 90% of all setups. We'll see how far we get with this...

Important part is that these changes are only about setting a new
default for new sites. Old sites that are upgraded are adviced to
convert their DB, but they can still override setDBinit and continue
using Latin1 for example...

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out