[TYPO3-core] RFC #7942: Enable UTF-8 by default

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Wed Nov 10 14:09:52 CET 2010

Am 10.11.2010 11:27, schrieb Benjamin Mack:

> Note: It doesn't matter if the DB is UTF-8 or not, because the database
> only needs to know in which format the data is going to be sent from and
> to TYPO3 (that is: the connection info). However, we encourage people to
> make their DB utf-8 by default.

This is not true. Collation (sorting) and sorting works on a character set.

So I would recommend a check of the default charset of the database and a check of all table columns
for any existing tables within the DB.

Additionally I suggest to set the collation "utf8_general_ci" explicitly for a new DB. I'm not sure
if you can change the default collation for a charset, but why risk anything.

If you ignore the default charset of the DB you have to make sure that each new table and column is
created with "utf8" (utf8_general_ci).

Masi