[TYPO3-core] RFC: #16234: ExtDirect Dataprovider for user settings

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Wed Nov 3 15:03:07 CET 2010

> Type: feature
>
> Branches: trunk
>
> Bugtracker reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16234
>
> This patch offers an ExtDirect handler for getting/setting BE_USER
> settings (uc)

Hi Steffen,

thanks for taking care!

I would omit the trailing "UserSettings" in the function names and call
them set(), get(), reset()...

What does "uc" stand for? "user configuration"?
What do you think of extDirect_DataProvider_BeUserSettings as class
name? You also call the AJAX key beUserSettings, so I would at least
adjust them. I also adjusted the ExtDirect key to plural:
'TYPO3.BeUserSettings.ExtDirect'

Setting an array as value is IMHO an important feature, is this not
possible with setSingleValue()? Reading the code of
setSettingsFromArray() I would say, it is.
What's the intention of setSettingsFromArray?
It could make people think setSingleValue can't handle arrays. Or does
it do, what SteffenR mentions in his second command: Set values
in.a.sub.key?
Then I would prefer set() accepting also one parameter, which is then
interpreted as array.

Also unsetting a value is not possible, isn't it? Would say this leads
to the same problem "how to specify a.sub.key"...

I've attached a patch, which modifies it according to my suggestions
(without testing for the moment, as I shouldn't do TYPO3 at the moment *g*).

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert