[TYPO3-core] RFC #16177: Add DB structure update pre-processing hook in EM

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Nov 2 06:47:40 CET 2010

Hi Ernesto,

> took some versions to get it working, right? Was a bit difficult to

Well, I was a bit too enthusiast at the beginning and then found out
that it could be "even better" with v2 and then, by really implementing
the DBAL part using the hook, and testing it on a few extensions, I
stumbled upon the behavior when static data are provided, which is not
the case with many extensions and v3 was born ;-)

> follow your monologue "thread", so I jumped right into v3 without
> looking at previous attempts. I hope I didn't miss anything. ;)

No :D

> I was annoyed by the CamelCase of the naming:
>
>     em_index_checkDBupdatesHook
> =>  em_index_checkDatabaseUpdatesHook
>
>     preprocessDBupdates
> =>  preProcessDatabaseUpdates
>
> Until I figured that the name of the original method is checkDBupdates,
> so I guess we will have to live with that interface name. :) Maybe you
> could consider renaming the method of the interface thou?

Of course I could renaming the method. I will do that on commit if there
is no objection until a second review is made.

> Ok, then for testing with your test-recipe which I found in the bug
> tracker (the code in the first mail of the thread was truncated).

Funny, it looks fine in my newsreader.

> +1 by reading and testing, hook looks fine.
>
> Reading through your hook implementation in DBAL (v2 in #15755), I
> suggest for you to propose a patch for the core's t3lib_install
> "writeToLocalconf" to support multiple line configuration options as you
> need them or maybe an easier API for that class.

Yes, and that would allow me to write cleaner DBAL settings when
automatically activating it through 1-2-3 installer because I wrote the
array as a 1-line statement there but it would be much better to have it
on multiple lines too.

Waiting for a second review now. Steffen worked on EM and should give me
some feedback, I hope his work is not located where I added the hook.

Xavier