[TYPO3-core] RFC #8305: SQL debug output is not shown in the Backend

Jochen Rau jochen.rau at typoplanet.de
Mon May 31 17:47:31 CEST 2010

Hi Steffen.

Steffen Kamper schrieb:
> Hi Jochen,
>
> Jochen Rau schrieb:
>>
>> Sorry. I have to bring this topic up again. The commit silently
>> removed a handy feature for debugging in the FE. Beforehand it was
>> possible to invoke the function with an integer as "header" resulting
>> in extra space before/after the debug output.
>>
>> I suggest to re-implement this feature, or at least argue against it
>> (I really like the feature ;-)).
>>

> it's really not needed ;)
> For FE simply add this to your css:
> ..typo3-debug {margin: 20px 0;}
> and you're done. No need for any br's

I disagree here. Adding a css class isn't a solution IMO. I use this
feature to group debug output in a more flexible way:

debug($foo, -3);
debug($bar, 1);
debug($baz, 1);

I am not against removing features as this mostly reduces complexity of
the product. But we should not remove features
- without a (short) discussion
- without adding a note to extension developers
- without patching places in the core that are affected (at least 2
occurrences)

OTOH I use the debugger (Netbeans, XDEBUG) to debug more complicated issues.

Regards
Jochen

--
Every nit picked is a bug fixed