[TYPO3-core] RFC #14490: New Backend design

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Sat May 29 13:24:11 CEST 2010

Hey Steffens,

On 29.05.10 13:02, Steffen Kamper wrote:
> who did this seperation and why? it's a bit confusing for me, as there
> are things that can't be clearly in one of these groups, and it's harder
> to maintain imho.
This was done already right before beta2 when cleaning up all CSS
clutter, basically removing the colors of the old 3.x skin (which was
still present, but somehow unmaintained ;-), like a hidden feature), and
then t3skin was just putting its colors over it. Which results in double
inclusion of everything. To have a clean base, we decided to split it
up, so it is better to maintain.

The point is that the CSS for structuring the page should go in a
separate CSS file. Imagine somebody who wants just different colors but
the same layout as the current t3skin - he/she/it only needs to check
the visual.css. Btw: This was evaluated 6 months ago already, it's
written in the Usability group on forge, as well as in the new "CSS
guidelines" manual. (btw: Joey, maybe we should add the best practices
for maximum compatibility there? Could you contact Francois Suter or
Fabien Udriot for that?)

All the best,
Benni.