[TYPO3-core] RFC #14441: Drop support for GDlib 1.x

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu May 20 16:54:35 CEST 2010

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On 20.05.10 10:21, Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>> Hmm... PHP seems to support GDlib 1.x at the moment. Is it such a
>> performance killer that this needs to be removed?
>> It's quite easy to detect the GD version, but we could also simply turn
>> [GFX][gdlib_2] on by default...
>>
>> -0 at the moment (not for or against, but I'm also not convinced that it
>> would do any good)
> Hey,
>
> could you point me to the resource you found where PHP 5.2+ and GDlib
> 1.x is running together?

The PHP manual [1] discusses GD versions below 1.6, also the
installation [2] directions explain how to configure PHP with a seperate
GD library (they warn for certain functions which require GD2..)
I haven't tried, but the documentation doesn't say the GD1 is not
supported anymore and mentions versions < 2.

> I can't even find a place where I can download GDlib 1.x from any of the
> developers repositories anymore...

[2] and [3] are a location for 1.8.4 (the original developers of GD)

I'm not suggesting to use GD1, but maybe there are hosting providers out
there who still only have GD1 and if we can still support it by not
modifying anything then I'd say: why not?
I don't think image creation will be faster (at least it will not be
possible to measure the difference) if GD1 support is removed.

[1] http://www.php.net/manual/en/image.requirements.php
[2] http://www.php.net/manual/en/image.installation.php
[3] http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/gd-1.8.4.tar.gz
[4] http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/gd-1.8.4.zip