[TYPO3-core] RFC #14442: Backend lacks a clean way for CSS browser conditions

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 20 16:08:50 CEST 2010

>> Especially 3 and 4 make them a no go for the current TYPO3 BE, since
>> we officially support IE6.
>
> The only argument that holds for me is no. 3. That's why I need this
> RFC. The others aren't relevant.

Of course it is relevant if we have to re-encode and implement an image into
a CSS file, just because a change to this image happened.

Not to mention the fact that you have to put the base64 encoded version of
this image into each(!) line of CSS that is using this image, which will
bloat the CSS file significantly compared to a single image file that will
be loaded once and taken from cache at the second request, taking the
original plan to reduce server load ad absurdum.

Simply use the standard way to implement background-gradients that will be
supported by all browsers supported by TYPO3, then you don't need this RFC.
Things like these will be removed anyway by the clean-up team later on.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de