[TYPO3-core] RFC #12365: cache_extensions.authorname too small

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Thu May 13 15:55:45 CEST 2010

Am 13.05.2010, 14:59 Uhr, schrieb Martin Kutschker
<masi-no at spam-typo3.org>:

> Steffen Kamper schrieb:
>>
>> how is that in other DB engines? I know MySQL doesn't reserve the
>> complete space of 255 chars, is this a MySQL special?
>
> I don't think so. The PostgreSQL docs also say that only the actual
> string (even compressed!) is
> stored (plus 4 bytes overhead). I reckon it's the same for other DB
> systems.

So both of you agree?! ;-)

Attached v2 which also increases extkey, title and ownerusername to 255
chars.

It's the special attribute of a varchar to not take the full space of 255
chars, but only the length of the actually stored data. Otherwise it would
be a char :-P

Regards
Steffen